Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Swiss Efficiency?

First order of business today was to print out bank statements at a nearby Internet café. It should have only taken a minute, but we ended up sitting there for 1 ½ hours surfing the net, checking account balances, and sending emails! The bank statement was the last piece of paperwork we needed for Pam’s resident permit. On the way to the Foreign Police office we stopped by Swisscom to get an update on our internet. Two days had passed since we had placed the order, and the Swiss “efficiency” we had heard so much about was nowhere in sight: instead of 7 days to complete the order, the time estimate inexplicably doubled to 14 days. Huh?! I sarcastically asked if they were in cahoots with Time Warner Cable, but I don’t think they got the joke. Anyway, we went on our merry way to drop off Pam’s paper work and then did some more shopping for household supplies (the bills are starting to pile up!). Pam continued home, while I met up for a drink – or three – with my future work colleagues at the EBK (Vinzenz, Marco, and Tim). I start work on Monday, but I wanted to thank them for all the hard work they did last week to get my visa rushed through the various government agencies in record time. My appreciation for what they accomplished grows every time Pam and I have to deal with the Foreign Police office.

No comments: