Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fussball!!!

(Brian) I decided to join the EBK Fussball team (a.k.a. soccer). It is kind of like a corporate softball team back in the States –mostly for fun and people of all skill levels are welcome. Figured it would be a good way to connect with people outside of the small department where I work. A great workout too.

My first practice was today at lunch. I can’t even remember the last time I played soccer, so I felt very much out of my element. But it was fun. I actually had two assists, so that made me feel better. I think the other players were taking it easy on me, but I’ll count the assists anyway!

There are some similarities to basketball – like keeping space between players on offense so that defenders can’t converge on the ball – but the basic footwork skills are a major challenge for me. Fortunately, we have a couple more practice sessions before our first match against Credit Suisse in mid-May. I’ll have to buy a soccer ball, so Chelsea and I can practice at home. :)

4 comments:

terryoh said...

"We have a couple more practice sessions"??!!! Honest to God, you sound like me!! Latin Dance classes and all!! Really, Brian, I hope playing all that soccer doesn't make you Gay!! :)

I pulled the trigger today and we come over at the end of August, first half of September - 12 days, like it or not!! I don't know if you know what it will be like for me to come home after almost 40 years!! Hell. I don't!! I am psyched!!

BWOHalloran said...

Did I mention I also bought some lovely new soccer sneakers? Neon pink, of course, to match my head band. :)

Just kidding. I just wanted to give you a disturbing image to match the one you gave me...6'8" gangly man doing the rumba in an undersized "The Man, The Legend" T-shirt. Not pretty.

Anyway, Pam and I are psyched that you guys booked your trip. Can't wait to see you, Sherry, and Brie. I may take that first week of September off work so we can join you on all those great trips you have planned. Munich, Fribourg, Geneva...Wow, it's going to be great!!!

usjoh said...

Quite the collection of disturbing imagery today. Glad I chose to read this before lunch and not after.

Unknown said...

yeah send a picture of that one of you in pink sneakers and matching headband oooh can't wait:)