Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hair Adventures


(Pam): I ventured out again today despite the rain. The city seems to be well prepared for such weather, however. According to our guide book, Albert Eintein (a former resident of Bern) wrote the following in 1902: “Both sides of the road [in Bern] are completely lined by old arcades so that one can stroll from one end of the city to the other in the worst downpour without getting noticeably wet.”

Anyway, I was debating whether or not to keep my hair appointment. But I ultimately decided to try out this place to see if it could be “the one”. I took notice of all the black residents around Bern since I arrived to see what their hair looked like. The majority seemed to be in braids, which I took to mean that there were going to be limited places for me to get my hair done! I showed up for my appt, which I made with a guy that spoke excellent English, only to find that he was not there. Instead, I was taken care of by woman who barely spoke English. After about 3 hours and 80 CHF! my hair was only passable but it was worth a shot. I’ll keep looking for a better and cheaper hairdresser. I guess there are bigger problems going on in the world.

I consoled myself with dinner of the local Rosti (according to guidebooks – crisp, fried, shredded potatoes is German’s Switzerland’s star dish) with Brian.

No comments: