Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Watchdog Takes a Bite out of Credit Suisse

My soccer team at work played Credit Suisse today. We won 6-5! I'm on the team, technically. I say technically because I had no goals, no assists, and barely touched the ball. I felt a little silly out there at times, but the game was no joke. We had uniforms and all. I actually didn't realize we were supposed to wear uniforms (I'm sure this was explained to me in German at some point), so I brought my own clothes and and changed into them before the game. I was about to walk out onto the field when I realized the error of my ways. It was a little embarrassing, but fortunately someone had an extra shirt and shorts for me.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day and the game was pretty competitive. In fact, I was yelled at by one teammate for being out of position at one point. But I didn't take offense. Most of my teammates were very understanding. The level of play was also very high - much higher than what I had seen during practice. Some of the players were semi-pro. If I had known this beforehand, I never would have taken the field. But we won, and there were no injuries. That's all that matters.

Although I had fun, I was a lot more comfortable taking pictures on the sideline after I came out of the game. The coach of our team spotted me with the camera and asked if I would mind writing up a summary of the game for posting to the corporate intranet site. I gladly accepted. I had a lot of fun with it. My headline: "Watchdog Takes a Bite out of Credit Suisse."

After the game, the two teams came together for a nice outdoor barbecue, where they served wine and beer. They call it the "third half" in soccer, which is very similar to the 19th hole in golf. :) It was a lot of fun. I met a lot of people and everybody had a great time all around. And the teammate who yelled at me...he and I were all smiles and toasting each other by the end of the night!

4 comments:

terryoh said...

Sounds like you had fun, Brian. Now, I don't know how to put this delicately, but, and you would know since you're there and all. . ., but did it ever occur to you that your team didn't want you stepping on the field wearing their uniform? I mean, they saw you at practice after all. I only put that forth in the spirit of international understanding among your coworkers.

Unknown said...

Dude, that's awesome about the soccer team! Maybe you could get a spot on Portugal's team also and play in June 7th's game? :)

BWOHalloran said...

Gee Terry, didn't think about that. Hmm. Now that you mention it...they do send me off alone to the far corner of the soccer field during practice. I just kind of stand there digging into the grass with my (new) pink soccer cleats.

Bad memories of my HS basketball team are flooding back to me now. Thanks.

terryoh said...

Brian, don't worry! I grew up on Alexander Street! We played Street Football. Of course I always had to "go long." (I might have been a bit dorky in my youth.) "Down to the third Buick, buttonhook, and wait. . ." One out of 4 times, I was the touchdown! Hell I was in the next Area Code!! It all works out!