Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Blathering and other Thoughts

We've been through the routine several times, but it doesn't get any easier seeing visitors head home. We had such a wonderful time with Terry, Sherry, and Bree. They were so eager to explore and experience this wonderful country. We were just happy to be along for the ride. Terry did an amazing job with the blogs. His posts were a perfect mixture of description, humor, and sentimentality. Who knew "Mr. Fussy-Pants" was such a talented writer?

I won't attempt to rehash all our journeys, but one of the highlights for me personally was accompanying Terry back to Fribourg after 40 years. Surprisingly, he didn't collapse into a pathetic heap of tears like we all expected/hoped. But his calm demeanor and stiff upper lip belied a flood of emotions bubbling up on the inside (or was that the fondue I heard rumbling?). Anyway, his semi-delirious mental state became plainly evident the moment he opened his mouth. He started spewing a series of non sequiturs. The "blathering" continued as we walked passed the administration building at his old college dorm. Fortunately, I just happened to have my video camera rolling (sorry, Terry). See video of Terry blathering. The "chief monk" line cracks me up every time.

All laughs aside, I have so many great memories from their visit: floating down the Aare with Bree, riding a zip line over the Aletsch Glacier, peering down on lake Lake Thun from atop Berchtold's castle. How can I choose just one? 

Reflecting further, I am reminded of a quote from Lord Byron, who said: to have joy one must share it. And so too I have come to realize that what makes all these moments special for me is not where I was, or what I was looking at, but who I was with.  Sharing the dream with those that mean the most to you makes it so much more rewarding. 

So, thank you Terry, Sherry, and Bree for coming to Switzerland.  Thank you for sharing in this wonderful experience with us.  

Look forward to seeing you on the "other side"....

Videos:
See "hand it over" video.

1 comment:

terryoh said...

I thought the whole reason for my "contribution" to your retirement fund was to make sure that "blathering" video never saw the light of day! But what do you care? You guys are already off to new adventures in London! May your travels be safe! Lookin' forward to your new entries.