Friday, June 27, 2008

Off to Amsterdam!!

I boarded a 12:25 flight to Amsterdam to visit Arlette today. I was very excited since we haven't seen each other for a year and half and it would be the first time that I am visiting her in Amsterdam. The only time we met up in Europe was in 2001 when she met Brian and I in Brussels.

Arlette met me at the airport and after grabbing a cappucino we headed off to her flat. She lives fairly close to the airport, so we were there in 1/2 hr. The plan was for us to go to the bike rental shop and rent a bike for my stay. At 10 Euros a day, it is the more economical way to see the city and get around. We were so engrossed in our conversation that we almost missed the 5:30 closing time of the rental shop. Once we got our bikes, Arlette led the way to the canals and to the trendy part of town. We parked at one of the outdoor cafes (not a regular coffee shop) for a drink before heading to dinner at a lovely restaurant where I had a delicious lamb shank dish. Arlette knew of a great place for dessert, but when we rode over there it was too crowded with diners waiting outside so we just headed back to her flat. We chatted and chatted then eventually fell asleep. I don't know what time.  Here are a few pictures from the first day in Amsterdam.

No comments: