Thursday, December 18, 2008

Apero

Tonight was my farewell party at the EBK.  In Switzerland, it is tradition that the person leaving buys all the food and drinks for everyone (or at least that's what my work colleagues told me!).  Anyway, it was a great time.  I was surprised at how many people came.  

I wanted to thank them for all their generosity and kindness in making our experience here so wonderful.  While there is no doubt my language skills did not progress as well as I had hoped (or they had hoped), the were very gracious in making me feel comfortable by speaking English around me.  I had the opportunity to work on many interesting and challenging projects, and I wanted to thank them for including me so openly as a member of their team.  I also wanted to thank them for all their great travel ideas.  No doubt, for anybody who ran into me on Monday morning over the past nine months knows that Pam and I have traveled A LOT!  We have criss-crossed Switzerland many times.  It is a beautiful country with so much natural beauty.  

But, most importantly, I wanted to thank them for not just treating me as a work colleague but as a member of the their extended family.  They invited Pam and I into their homes for dinner, they invited us out for a day of hiking, they even invited me for a swim in the Aare.  I have formed many lasting friendships here in Switzerland.    While I have many fond memories of my experience here, the most lasting will be the great times shared with others.  

When people ask me back home what I think about Switzerland, I would say:  the only thing more delightful than the Swiss countryside is the Swiss people themselves.

Here are a few pictures from my Apero.  

No comments: