Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Swimming in the Aare

The weather turned nice and warm this week. Quite a few Bernese have headed over to "Marzili Beach" across the street from our apartment to swim and lay out. From our balcony, we noticed hundreds of bikes piling up in the parking lot. The warm weather is the first real opportunity for many people to go swimming in the Aare River -- something I've been wanting to do myself since we first arrived in March. Back then the water temperature was a chilly 10 C (50 F), but it has since warmed to a comfortable 19 C (66 F). So, after work today I rushed home to change then headed over to Marzili Beach to check it all out. 

It was quite a spectacle to see hundreds of people wearing only bathing suits walk unabashedly upstream along the footpaths until they found a spot to jump in and float back to where they started. After a few pictures, Pam and I followed the crowd upstream. I eventually found a spot to jump in...and off I went (Pam opted not to join me)!!

It was exhilarating! I dipped my head below water and heard the coarse sound of pebbles rushing by rocks on the riverbed floor. The current was so strong; I just let myself be carried downstream by the river. I spread my arms and floated on my back as I looked up at the sky. I felt like I was on a different planet. As I came around the last bend before the exit I caught a spectacular view of the Federal Parliament building up on a hill overlooking the river. Never seen it from that angle before! It was pretty cool. Can't wait to do it again!! Here are some pictures Pam took from the shore.  Pam also took a video of me jumping in.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

how cool! looks like a strong current there...

Unknown said...

Awesome! The park and river looks soooo clean :)
Of course I would opt for the laying out on the grass aspect as opposed to the river adventures :)
-C

BWOHalloran said...

Yeah, it is amazingly clean and the current is quite strong. The river has its source in the Aar glaciers in the nearby Alps (thus the name), and I'm told the milky blue color is from the calcium it carries from the mountains.